Live-in Help for Seniors programme
companionship for an elderly person
What is an au pair for seniors?
Our au pairs are young Italian students who would like to improve their English skills and to get a taste of real Australian life by living with an Australian family or an indipendent elderly person.
For many people, living in the comfort of their own home is an important part of growing older, but for some older people this may become difficult without extra help: an Italian Au Pair for Seniors can provide that “extra help,’’ in exchange for board and a small amount of pay.
The aupair live-in for seniors programme focus’ on companionship, but also assisting activities of daily life daily such as a meal preparation, running errands, medication reminders, light housecleaning, incidental trasportation to the doctors and other non-medical tasks.
Hosting an au pair for seniors is the most convenient form of non-medical aged care and gives you and your family the security of knowing that your elderly family member is safe, not alone and living in their own home whilst maintaing thier independence and their life style.
Plus every family member will experience a cultural exchange, learn some Italian and gain better quality family time.
good reasons to welcome an Italian Au Pair for seniors
- Welcoming an italian au pair into your family is the most convinient and affordable form of senior care.
- If you live a great distance from your elderly relative you will know that they are being cared for with proper (italian!) meals and that they have somebody to talk to on regular basis.
- You can always communicate with the au pair and get updates on your loved ones emotional and physical wellbeing.
- The aged person will maintein their lifestyle and habits and be happy in her own home.
- It will give your family and your elderly relative more quality time together, because the au pair will take care of the routine cleaning and the daily shopping.
- If your senior relative has an italian back ground they will be really happy to talk with somebody in their mother tongue.
- Last but not least, Italians are caring, fun and lovely people with a great sense of family and a great respect for the elderly.
what experience can you expect?
The most important prerogatives of an aupair have to be honesty, maturity, the right attitude for living in a different country with new people and of course a sincere commitment. This is what we expect from our candiate and what our staff look for in each of them.
Some au pairs have a good English level, elderly care experience and a background in nursing or have been aupair before: expect paying more pocket money for experienced candidates.
Be sure your profile reflects your requirements.
Please note: an au pair is not a nurse or a elderly care professional. Help and enthusiasm is expected, experience is an extra. They should not be expected to take charge of all household chores or personal care.
- prepare breakfast in the morning and help with cleaning
- daily and weekly shopping
- driving or walking to get the person to daily activities
- preparing meals
- cleaning up after meals
- helping to follow the medication schedule
- spring cleaning excluding day to day cleaning
- washing carpets
- pet training, clearing up after untrained pets
- cleaning en-suite bathroom
- helping with washing and bathing (unless previously arranged)
- on duty approx. 5 hours per day, 5 days per week (25-30 hours a week)
- free time minimum 2 full days and 3 evenings
- the 2 full days off should be every other weekend
- minimum pocket money 200 dollars (25 hrs) plus 8 dollars for extra hours
- the work hours have to allow the au pair to attend English language classes
- no heavy housework duties
- no sole care for the elderly with significant disabilities
- no hygiene or personal care
- maximum 45 weekly hours, incidental increases up to 50 hours can be arranged
Some families are prepared to pay or to contribute towards the cost of English lessons.
how we work
Our searching and matching process is clear and easy and it is supported by communication every step of the way making sure you have all the right information at the right time. We introduce you to screened candidates only interviewed by our Italian tutors.
The au pair’s files include:
- Registration form, letter and pictures of the aupair
- Checked references
- First aid certificate
- Medical certificate and police check
Sometimes an aupair can be available straight away (sometimes they are already in Australia), other times it can take time to get the right match. In order to avoid disappointment it recommended to apply for your aupair between 2 or 3 months in advance according to the period you want her/him to start.
how to apply
cost & fees
We start your matching process with a deposit of 200 dollars: in this way we can be sure of your commitment and that you are ready to start interviewing our candidates. As soon as your au pair is confirmed, the placement fee is payable.
- deposit: $ 100
- fee: $ 100
- total fee: $ 200
3 to 6 months
- deposit: $ 100
- fee: $ 150
- total fee: $ 250